Am I Eligible For Defensive Driving?
If you received a traffic ticket you will be eligible if you meet these requirements:
- Possess a valid Texas driver’s license or permit
- You were not going more than 25 MPH over the posted speed limit.
- Have not taken a course to dismiss a ticket within the last 12 months.
- Admit guilt or plead no contest and choose to complete a defensive driving course.
- Do not have a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)
If you meet those conditions you should be able to use an approved Defensive Driving Course to dismiss your ticket. The course has benefits beyond just dismissing tickets though. When you complete one of these courses you will receive 2 copies of your Certificate of Completion. One of those copies is for the court for your ticket, the other copy is for your insurance company. Many auto insurance companies offer a discount of up to 10% for 3 years upon completing a Defensive Driving Course.
Those are the general guidelines for the state of Texas but there can always be circumstances that change your eligibility for the course. Be sure to confirm you’re eligible with your court directly.